Want to add a perfect pattern or dose of color to your home interior? If so, accent walls are exactly what you need. Experts in the decorating industry insist that accent walls bring elegance and timeless atmospheres to our homes. Stylish and easy color accents will forever be popular thanks to their flexibility. They are also well-appreciated because they are less work when compared to repainting an entire room or wallpapering.
Most people underrate the power of accent walls when it comes to decorating their homes. Focusing on a single wall creates a huge impact. An accent wall brings depth and emphasis to a room. Color experts and interior designers insist that you can express yourself through accent walls. They refresh your living space and breathe new life into your home with minimal effort and cost. So, how do you come up with the perfect ideas to accent your walls? Let’s find out by going through some expert tips shared by some of the most successful interior designers and color experts.
Crucial Accent Walls Tips
Accent walls, commonly known as feature walls, are like exclamation marks at the end of sentences, they add importance and excitement to space. When you paint accent walls, you create a sense of shape and architecture in boxy rooms. Doing this emphasizes existing focal points by directing the eye to strategic positions. However, if the painting is done in the wrong place, the results will look confusing and odd, which is why choosing the right walls to feature is crucial.
When done well, accent walls a true compliment to the room. If the painting is done in a shoddy manner, the results will be terrible and your efforts to beautify your home will be wasted. Most people think that the first wall you lay your eyes upon when you enter a room is the best to accentuate. However, this is not always the case. There are more important things to consider when making accent walls decisions. The following mistake-proof guidelines are crucial in determining which walls to pick.
- Accent walls look perfect when they are solid. What this basically means is that accent walls give the best results when they have no windows or doors. Framing your beautiful large window or French doors with spectacular views do not bring about the desired results. Instead of enhancing your awesome paint job, you will bring about a distractive aspect. Moreover, natural light from windows tends to make accent colors appear virtually invisible or darker during the day.
- In oblong rooms, the best walls to accentuate are the farthest short walls. Accent colors tend to draw attention and make walls appear closer. They ‘magically’ correct room shapes. Painting the longest walls differently only emphasizes their length. For this reason, focusing attention on shared walls is rarely a good idea. You will not only make the space appear as unbalanced and disproportionately elongated, but you will also have a hard time deciding where to begin and where to stop.
- Do you already have a focal point in the living space? Usually, it is better to highlight existing points than creating new ones. For instance, if you have a built-in fireplace, dramatic artwork, or an important and unique piece of furniture, it is already a focal point and it is pointless creating something different. To make it stand out, paint the wall it’s on a different hue. The color should be different from other colors in the room. That way, you will be working with it rather than competing against it.
- When there isn’t a natural focal point in a living space, you can come up with one. Choose the perfect wall for accent painting, then look around and decide what you need to showcase. It could be anything from framed photos, live plants, paintings, or unique pieces of furniture.
- Always keep in mind that before you commence painting any accent wall, ensure that there aren’t competing walls in the living space. If the adjacent walls command attention (probably because of bold wall decors or dramatic artworks), adding accent walls next to them may overwhelm the space and create confusion.
- Important note. If there is anything in the room that steals the show, consider moving it. Other décor elements should play a supporting role. Never force accent walls where they won’t fit in.
How to Choose Accent Walls Colors: Accent Walls Color Advice
- For a classy look. When choosing accent wall colors, always keep in mind that they should be darker than other wall colors in the room. Also, make sure that the accent wall colors blend with adjacent wall colors. If you are in doubt, paint your desired wall the same hue but 2-3 shades darker.
- Always consider all the items that will be in the background. Ensure that the colors coordinate well and that there is enough contrast. Doing this helps prevent wall art, furniture pieces, and other decors from clashing with the accent wall color.
- Ensure accent walls are related to existing decors. For the best results, repeat a color that is already present in the living space. Decorative pieces’ color such as artwork and throw pillows’ colors will help you determine which hue to paint on your accent walls.
Without a doubt, accent colors have impacts on our homes. They stand out and leave positive and lasting impressions to anyone who walks into our homes. However, to have the best accent walls, you need to seek the services of professional painters. At C.E.T Painting, we have the best painters who are experienced in dealing with accent walls. We also have the best rates that provide the best value for your money. For quotes and inquiries, contact us through our website or give us a call at (914) 615-1415.